HISTORY AND DESCRIPTION
This palace is the symbol of political power of the family in which it takes its name. It was constructed by the capitano del popolo Raniero Gatti in 1266. He ordered the construction of a complex that extended up to the convent of the Carmelitane scalze. The building was originally equipped with at least six towers, of which he now holds only a small portion. The unfortunate vicissitudes of the Gatti family started in1406 when Giovanni Gatti was tortured and murdered by the order of the families of Maganzesi, Tignosi and Orsini for siding with the Ghibellines. This unfortunate event also involved the slow decay of the building. The part of the structure still standing is based on three levels surmounted by a terrace that replaced the gabled roof. The street level arches and mullioned windows along the entire curve of the two floors above hint at the many similarities between this structure and the Papal Palace. Among the coats of arms found in the façade two are more important than the others. The cross emblem of the Alessandri family, who intermarried with the Gatti family, and the emblem of the Anguillara family. The palace of the Gatti always belonged to the same family in Piazza delle Erbe, which is now the headquarters of Monte dei Paschi di Siena and until the sixteenth century extended far beyond the actual surface. The coat of arms on the façade are the only thing that remains of the original owners of the building. Via Macel Gattesco, which runs along the building, is reminiscent of a violent act of blood, involving the Gatti and Tignosi families.