THE COURTYARD OF SANTA MARIA DELLA VERITA’
HISTORY AND DESCRIPTION
To the left of the church of Santa Maria della Verità is the former convent of the order of the Carmelitani Scalzi, which is now the Civic Museum. The museum was originally built in 1955 and was reopened in 1994 after a long period of reconstruction and rearrangement of the artifacts. Now, the museum organizes its artifacts chronologically starting with the Iron Age and finishing with the documents of the nineteenth century. The gothic- style courtyard dates back to the 13th century. Two sides, the South and North, exhibit elegant four-light windows, while the other two have five-light windows, with one side bearing three-light windows from the fourteenth century.The well in the center of the courtyard dates back to 1536 and was originally part of the destroyed monastery of Saint Augustine. Under the porch, there are several exposed sarcophagi (made of a volcanic rock called nenfro) dating back to a period between the fourth and second centuries BC. These come from various locations including Musarna, Norchia, Castel d’Asso, and a location near Viterbo called “Cipollaretta.” The corner opposite the entrance leads to the large room (room 1 of the Civic Museum), which was probably once used as a dining hall.
THE COURTYARD OF SANTA MARIA DELLA VERITA’.
Translation by Isabella Lazzareschi, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, enrolled in the USAC Viterbo program.