Historian Pinzi reported that the Main entrance was sculpted by Maestro Bernardino di Bagnaia, but this information is wrong. Historian Scriattoli proved through documentations of lawyer Oddi, that the main gate was built by Francesco Maiolino in 1649. The original San Sisto gate, which was close to the old bell tower, was closed and replaced by Porta Romana.
The original name was Port Eviali. He was defended by the Branca Tower. The entrance arch is still visible outside the walls, near the place where still protrudes today the apse of the fold Abbey of Palomba. Placed under restoration between 1995 and 2005, and again from 2015 again subject to consolidation works, today is still as saying inpacchettata in scaffolding for the restoration.
This opening was constructed on the orders of the Roman senator Bonaventura. The construction is remembered in an epigraph above the door alongside the Papereschi family’s coat of arms, to which Pope Innocent II belonged. According to the Scriattoli, the above mentioned senator was cardinal Bonaventura Papereschi, who came into power as magistrate in 1255. Il Della Tuccia states the door’s name relates to Bovone, who was also a senator of Rome and became magistrate of Viterbo in 1215.
Porta Del Carmine originally took its name from the church and covenant of the order of the Carmelitani Scalzi, which stood nearby the gate and was first recorded in 1290 by Pope Niccolo IV. The gate retains its medieval characteristics with two overlapping arches though it displays no epigraph or coat of arms to state the date it was built or name the artisans.
Behind the church of Santa Maria of Fortezze, recent restorations reopenend the old Porta Vallia only for pedestrians. The door is also known as Porta di San Leonardo or of the Crucified, for a painting found on the inner part. This door, in the Middle Ages, connected the center with the road Cimina with a street that passed under the Tower of San Biele.
The oldest door in the San Pietro neighborhood is certainly Porta Fiorita. The door was closed due to the street being lowered and became difficult to enter the city with wagons and livestock. The door was replaced by Porta San Pietro. Only in 1970, during restoration work to the walls, the door was reopened.