TOWER OF ALESSANDRI
The tower, similar to the building where it resides, was the property of the Alessandri, a noble family with Frankish origins. They were a family of magistrates, captains, and civil administrators who distinguished themselves by their loyalty to the party of the Guelphs. The building and the tower were probably built in the first half of the thirteenth century, and in any case before 1251-1252, when the city Statute was essential to the possession of the property to the family. In fact, the Statute sanctioned the importance of the family in the city during those years. With the Bolla issued on April 17, 1252, Pope Innocenzo IV confirmed the ownership of the building and the tower to the Alessandri family, who were forced to leave because Viterbo had been defeated by the supporters of the Emperor.
TORRE DEGLI ALESSANDRI
Traduzione di Cher Hale, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Studentessa del programma USAC presso Università degli studi della Tuscia.
M.R. Giordani; Ricognizione delle torri medievali di Viterbo, in Case e torri medievali II, a cura di E. Minicis – E. Guidoni, Edizioni Kappa, Roma 2001, pp. 152-177.
M. Galeotti; L’illustrissima Città di Viterbo, Edizioni Studio Pubblicitario Viterbese, Viterbo 2002, p. 651.
Scriattoli A., Viterbo nei suoi Monumenti, Viterbo, 1915
Galeotti M., Illustrissima città di Viterbo, Viterbo, 2001