HISTORY AND DESCRIPTION
Belonging to one of the most distinguished families of the city, this square is clearly an example of the private housing of Viterbo in the 14th century. We know this because of the specific type of external stairs, called “profferlo”, which had already been popular in rural areas. We do not know who the builder was, but the architectural characteristics lead us to believe that it was a local artist. We also do not know the name of the family who owned it, but their coat arms façade, which depicts a shield with an eagle and eight loaves, is still intact. This leads us to believe that it can be traced back to the Di Vico family. According to another tale, Domina Galliana (the wife of Veraldo of Brettoni) and part of her family used to live here. They had already owned other properties in the Via Cavour area. The house was restored in 1903 by the stonemason Giovanni Nottola, funded by the city government. The house was originally on two floors and decorated with a cornice supported by a modillion at the top of the roofline.
Traduzione di Jennifer Dotson, California State University, Chico. Programma USAC presso Università degli Studi della Tuscia.